Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Things you learn from complete strangers

Recently on a trip home from the Big Smoke I stopped at the service station for a rest and coffee. I was sitting outside on a bench in the Smokers area, luckily no one was polluting the atmosphere. A lady with a small suite case sat on an adjoining table and it was obvious she was waiting for a bus. We could have kept to ourselves and moved on in our different directions without ever speaking a word. But I decided to break the ice with a question about some earth works that was nearby. I guessed that she was a local and would have my answer, which she did. We then went on to have a brief conversation about her travel plans and a bit of her past life. She was a retired widow from a sheep station some 300 miles north of Broken Hill.......now that is a remote area to live. Conversation turned to the good things about living on the land, and she went on to tell me about the goods that her son brings down to her from the station. One of her favourites was the occasional package of kangaroo meat. This is where I learnt of a great tip for the budding chef in me. She told me that the best way to eat kangaroo meat was to marinate it for 24 hours before cooking with lemonade.............interesting. I haven't tried it yet, but I decided to share it with you. Let me know if it works.

1 comment:

  1. go for the superchef title, if I can get hold of some kangaroo meat I will try it

    ReplyDelete