Wednesday, August 19, 2009

lady-bird lady-bird fly away......

Found this bunch of ladybirds at the edge of a reservoir........Questions come to mind, why are they called "ladybirds" when clearly they are not birds. Also not all of them can be ladies, only about 50% of them. Should they be called "peoplebirds"??? Drop of the "birds" as they are clearly not birds, so would that make them "Peopleinsects"?
Then you wonder, what do you call a bunch of "Ladybirds", is it a gang, a clutch, a swarm a herd or a flock? If I was an aphid living near that reservoir I would be very worried, I would be packing my bags and moving to another weed down stream........Maybe it was just a Woodstock for da birds........but then again if they are really a gang, I have been associating with them and could be thrown in the slammer if I do it 5 more times.

2 comments:

  1. was that the reservoir at Nelshaby? great photo with no need for words to describe this wonderful image. In dutch their name is 'onzelieveheersbeestje' which in an awkward translation becomes 'small animal of our loving lord jesus' no shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Orroroo reservoir, on the down wind edge, I have another shot somewhere. cheers my man.

    ReplyDelete