Saturday, September 26, 2009

The first Magpie chick tries it's wings





For the last few weeks I have been listening to the progress of the new baby magpies. I'm still not sure if there is only one or maybe two. I have noticed the change in the tone of the birds calls. Definately a difference between a newly hatched chick and an almost ready to fly bird. The weather has been terrible from time to time and the nest and occupants have survived the wind rain and cold conditions.


Today when I returned from my walk I heard a bit of activity on the driveway. Lot's of squarking and flying around by the parents. Then I spotted the new bird sitting about 10 metres from the family tree. Suddenly I was warned off by a very angry couple of parents. I kept my distance and went inside to fetch the camera. I was a bit worried that the new bird may have trouble flying, but just after I took the photo, it flew with off with immature wings, flapping madly trying to get some height. I was a bit relieved as I was worried that it would be a target for cats or foxes. I feel anxious about the next few days as I feel this young bird will be at risk. Fingers crossed, I will keep you posted. I wonder if there are any more newbies in the nest?
The top 2 photo's are of a protective parent warning me to keep my distance.






No comments:

Post a Comment